MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelor’s degree in food science, chemistry, microbiology, or related field of science from an accredited college or university
1 to 3 years of relevant work experience, with an understanding of food safety and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert):
- Food safety concepts and techniques (J)
- Food chemistry (J)
- Food microbiology (J)
- Quality assurance concepts and techniques (J)
- HACCP programs and related food safety regulations and processes (B)
- Food processing equipment (B)
- Food testing concepts and techniques (B)
- PC word processing/spreadsheet software (B)
Skill and ability to:
- Work independently
- Identify problems or irregularities for early resolution
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers verbally and in writing
- Read and process written information with a high degree of accuracy
- Perform a variety of food safety tests
- Work in a laboratory environment
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service
- Act in accordance with GSF’s Values and Creed
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment and/or clothing.
- Stand/walk 6 or more hours per day.
- Continuously talk/hear throughout the day.
- Frequently bend, reach, twist/turn and grip/grasp.
- Frequently use eye/hand coordination and use handling/fingering to handle boxes, use hoses or tools.
- Frequently lift and carry less than 5 pounds from floor level to overhead.
- Occasionally kneel/crawl, squat or climb.
- Occasionally use eye/hand/foot coordination when handling film carts.
- Occasionally use fine motor tasks and taste/smell.
- Occasionally lift up to 50 lbs for an entire shift from floor level to shoulder height.
- Occasionally carry up to 50 lbs 50-100 feet.
- Push film cart requiring 25 lbs of force 100 feet.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
- Constantly work in damp, wet, humid and slippery environments.
- Constantly work near moving equipment with fumes or airborne debris.
- Constantly work in high noise levels requiring hearing protection.
- Occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Constantly work in extreme heat/cold.
- Occasionally work with hand tools causing segmental or whole-body vibration.
- Bump cap, hair net, safety glasses, hearing protection, and uniform or smock.
- Cut resistant gloves.
- Nitrile gloves, plastic apron, and plastic sleeves.
- Machines and conveyors.
- Food safety knife and small hand tools.
- Manual pallet jacks.
- Human Machine Interface (HMI) software.
- Lockout locks and tags.