MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelor’s degree in food science, engineering, or related field of science from an accredited college or university
1 to 5 years of relevant work experience, with an understanding of food chemistry, food safety, and related regulations. Dairy foods experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Food testing concepts and techniques
- Product development
- Food processing equipment
- Raw materials/product interaction
- Food safety concepts and techniques
- Quality assurance concepts and techniques
- HACCP programs and related food safety regulations and processes
- International export and food regulations
- Food chemistry
- Food microbiology
- PC word processing/spreadsheet software
Skill and ability to:
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Apply working knowledge of mathematical concepts and scientific weights and measures. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Teach others the importance of concepts revolving around food analysis, food chemistry and food microbiology.
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers verbally and in writing
- Speak confidently and effectively before groups of customers or employees of GSF.
- Read and process written information with a high degree of accuracy
- Perform a variety of food safety tests including viscosity, pH, moisture and total solids analysis
- Work in a laboratory environment
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service
- Act in accordance with GSF’s Values and Creed
- Ability to lead through others, direct or indirect
- Develops and mentors others in the department
- Productivity/quality standards: test methodology, accuracy and reliability
- Productivity/quality standards: accuracy, timeliness, thoroughness
- Productivity/quality standards: new product development
- Domestic and international regulatory compliance
- Cost containment
- Teamwork within the department and across departments
- Project/assignment standards
- Customer satisfaction
- Safety standards and procedures: food
- Safety standards and procedures: laboratory equipment and procedures